18 Benefits of Playing a Musical Instrument

The Chinese philosopher Confucius said long ago that “Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” Playing a musical instrument has many benefits and can bring joy to you and to everyone around you.  This article will provide you with 18 benefits of playing an instrument (in no particular order) and will hopefully give you a better sense of appreciation and pride for music.

1.  Increases the capacity of your memory.
Research has shown that both listening to music and playing a musical instrument stimulate your brain and can increase your memory.  A study was done in which 22 children from age 3 to 4 and a half years old were given either singing lessons or keyboard lessons.  A control group of 15 children received no music lessons at all. Both groups participated in the same preschool activities.  The results showed that preschoolers who had weekly keyboard lessons improved their spatial-temporal skills 34 percent more than the other children.  Not only that, but researchers said that the effect lasted long-term.  (Source:  http://brainconnection.positscience.com/topics/?main=fa/music-education2#A1)

According to an article from The Telegraph online magazine, “New research suggests that regularly playing an instrument changes the shape and power of the brain and may be used in therapy to improve cognitive skills.”  There is continually more evidence that musicians have organizationally and functionally different brains compared to non-musicians, especially in the areas of the brain used in processing and playing music.  If you learn how to play an instrument, the parts of your brain that control motor skills (ex: using your hands, running, swimming, balancing, etc.), hearing, storing audio information, and memory actually grow and become more active.  Other results show that playing an instrument can help your IQ increase by seven points.   (Source:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6447588/Playing-a-musical-instrument-makes-you-brainier.html)

2.  Refines your time management and organizational skills.
Learning how to play an instrument requires you to really learn how to be organized and to manage your time wisely.  A good musician knows that the quality of practice time is more valuable than the quantity.  In order for a musician to progress quicker, he/she will learn how to organize his/her practice time and plan different challenges to work on, making efficient use of time.

3.  Boosts your team skills.
Team skills are a very important aspect of being successful in life.  Playing an instrument requires you to work with others to make music.  In band and orchestra settings you must learn how to cooperate with the people around you.  Also, in order for a group to make beautiful music, each player and section must learn how to listen to each other and play together.

4.  Teaches you perseverance.
Learning to play an instrument takes time and effort, which really teaches you patience and perseverance.  Most people can’t play every piece of music perfectly the first time.  In fact, the majority of musicians have to work difficult sections of music multiple times in a row before they can play it correctly.

5.  Enhances your coordination.
The art of playing an instrument requires a lot of hand-eye coordination.  By reading musical notes on a page, your brain subconsciously must convert that note into specific motor patterns while also adding breathing and rhythm to the mix.

6.  Betters your mathematical ability.
Reading music requires counting notes and rhythms and can help your math skills.  Also, learning music theory includes many mathematical aspects.  Studies have shown that students who play instruments or study the arts are often better in math and achieve higher grades in school than students who don’t.  (Source: Friedman, B. (1959) An evaluation of the achievement in reading and arithmetic of pupils in elementary schools instrumental classes. Dissertation Abstracts International, 20, pp.s 3662-3663.)

7.  Improves your reading and comprehension skills.
According to a study published in the journal Psychology of Music, “Children exposed to a multi-year program of music tuition involving training in increasingly complex rhythmic, tonal, and practical skills display superior cognitive performance in reading skills compared with their non-musically trained peers.”  (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090316075843.htm)

It’s not surprising to hear results like that because music involves constant reading and comprehension.  When you see black and white notes on a page, you have to recognize what the note name is and translate it to a finger/slide position.  At the same time, you also have to read what rhythms the notes are arranged in and force your tongue to produce the correct pattern.

8.  Increases your responsibility.
Playing an instrument comes with its responsibilities.  Maintenance and care are very important in keeping an instrument in working condition.  Each instrument has different procedures to keep in functioning properly, but most instruments need cleaning and some form of oiling/greasing.  In addition to maintenance responsibilities, there are other aspects such as remembering music events (like rehearsals and performances) and making time to practice.

9.  Exposes you to cultural history.
Oftentimes music reflects the environment and times of its creation.  Therefore, you learn a variety of music types such as classical traditions, folk music, medieval, and other genres.  Music itself is history, and each piece usually has its own background and storyline that can further your appreciation of other cultures.

10.  Sharpens your concentration.
Playing music by yourself requires you to concentrate on things like pitch, rhythm, tempo, note duration, and quality of sound.  Playing music in a group involves even more concentration because you must learn to not only hear yourself, but you must listen to all the other sections and play in harmony with the rest of the group.

11.  Fosters your self-expression and relieves stress.
It’s your instrument, so you can play whatever you want on it!  The more advanced you become on an instrument, the greater you’ll be able to play what you want and how you want.  Music is an art–just like an artist can paint his/her emotions onto a canvas, so can a musician play a piece with emotion.  This has proven to relieve stress and can be a great form of therapy.  In fact, music therapy has been useful in treating children and teens with autism, depression, and other disorders.

12.  Creates a sense of achievement.
Overcoming musical challenges that you thought you’d never quite master can give you a great sense of pride about yourself.  When you first start learning how to play an instrument, it seems like just holding out a note for a couple beats or hitting a high pitch is an amazing accomplishment.  As you practice and become a more experienced musician, making beautiful sounding music pleasing not only to your ear, but others as well is a very rewarding experience.

13.  Promotes your social skills.
Playing an instrument can be a great way to enhance your social skills.  Some of the best people join bands and orchestras, and many times the friends you make here become like family.  It’s very common for people to gain lifelong friendships through musical activities like these.

14.  Boosts your listening skills.
Although it’s pretty obvious, playing an instrument requires you to listen very carefully to things.  You have to learn how to hear when you’re playing a wrong note in order to correct yourself.  Tuning your instrument means hearing if the pitch you’re playing is high (sharp) or low (flat).  When playing in an ensemble, you have to listen for the melody and play softer if you’re the supporting part (accompaniment).  There are too many examples to list every possibility here, but by playing an instrument you are guaranteed to improve your listening skills.

15.  Teaches you discipline.
As previously mentioned, playing an instrument can be very challenging.  One of the qualities that musicians learn is discipline.  Practicing often and working on the hard parts of music and not just the easy and fun stuff requires discipline.  The best musicians in the world are masters of discipline which is why they are so successful on their instrument.

16.  Elevates your performance skills and reduces stage fright.
One of the goals of practicing so much on your instrument is so that you can perform for others.  The more you get up in front of people and perform, the more you’ll reduce any stage fright.  Playing on stage in a band or orchestra helps with stage fright because you’re not alone.  Also, being prepared and really knowing how to play your part makes it much easier to get up and play for a crowd.

17.  Enhances your respiratory system.
If you have a good music director/tutor, you should hear them tell you quite often to “use more air!”  Air is one of the key components in making wonderful-sounding music.  In order to play any piece of music correctly when playing an instrument, you’ll need to take huge breaths and learn how to expel the air properly to make the desired sound.  Breathing exercises are highly recommended for musicians, and they can really strengthen your respiratory system.

18.  Promotes happiness in your life and those around you.
Playing a musical instrument can be very fun and exciting.  Not only is it fun to play music that you enjoy, but it feels wonderful to hear an audience applaud you for giving a great performance.  It can also be very honorable and gratifying to voluntarily play in your local community and see the happiness on people’s faces because they enjoy watching you play.

Conclusion
As you can see, playing a musical instrument has many benefits and hopefully that will motivate you to keep on practicing and always hold music in high esteem.  Whenever you come across challenges as a musician, think about the end results and always remind yourself of all the great reasons you love to play.  I’ll leave you with an inspiring quote by jazz saxophonist and composer Charlie Parker who once said, “Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom.  If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn.”

If you think of other benefits of playing a musical instrument and you’d like to share or if you have any comments, please fill out the comment box below!

Save Article as PDF

Did you like this? Share it:
Michael Matthews

About Michael Matthews

I've played the French horn for over 14 years and also teach private lessons. Throughout my time with music, I've had some great opportunities playing talented musicians in All-County and All-State groups, as well as playing with the Florida Symphony Youth Orchestra (FSYO). Although my day job isn't music related, I still enjoy teaching and playing music in my spare time.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

148 Responses to 18 Benefits of Playing a Musical Instrument

1. Sohail Trim U Yoga January 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM #

Nice and true info, thanks for sharing

2. Sara Loren January 28, 2016 at 11:22 AM #

Good to read it all. Music is a great inspiration for our youth as well but most of them usually can't persue their dreams due to financial issues! http://blog.clickob.com/things-you-should-buy-second-hand-musical-instruments/ it states about the issue and solutions regarding them :) :) :)

3. Тамара Чуфарова January 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM #

Learning the piano was a life goal of mine. I had tried learning at various times of my life but I felt the prices of lessons were too expensive for the progress I was making so I gave up on each occasion. However, About a year ago I came across a program that taught me how to learn piano myself through online lessons which not only was a hell of a lot cheaper but it allowed me to become a very advanced pianist in just a year of following the program. Anyway if you are interested in learning piano I highly recommended you to follow the full lesson guide at
    fb.me/4LbW3Lpdz
    All the best have a great day, and become a piano player

4. Tyler Meredith February 11, 2016 at 1:29 AM #

I like what this article mentions about instruments promoting concentration. I think this could be very beneficial for my son, as I've noticed that he has trouble in school. I'll have to look into having him start playing before he gets too busy. Thanks for the post!

5. Philemon Nso Aboungo February 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM #

It is good toknow that Music has some benefits. It is good to study about the benefits and apply them to ones life.

6. Svetlana Davidova February 21, 2016 at 12:28 PM #

Since my childhood I wanted to learn to play the piano , and only now , this technique has helped me to play fluently in 2 months!
    fb.me/HjNz6BaH

7. Brad Edmonds February 22, 2016 at 4:49 PM #

This is encouraging information especially for someone that just picked up an instrument – albeit late in life. I'm 55 and never dreamed of playing an instrument. My wife bought me a banjo for Christmas and now I'm pickin' away. 2 months now and I'm playing music. Better late than never. A couple quotes that keep me moving forward in my journey:
    "Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best. – Henry Van Dyke. "The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." — Johann Sebastian Bach

8. Don Illuminati April 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM #

WELCOME TO THE GREAT BROTHERHOOD ILLUMINATI KINGDOM, WHERE YOU FOUND ALL KINDS OF HAPPINESS, BLESSING, JOY IN LIFE. Are you tired with the kind of life you are living today, do you want your life to be change totally, and for you to fulfill your dream, then you have the opportunity to join now so that your life story we be change immediately are you poor and you want to become rich in life ,like other people or you want to be famous in life, are you a graduate looking for job. you have to join now. or a business man or woman or star who want to be fame and powerful, you don't have to waste any of your time, are you suffering in life, make up your mind and join the Illuminati kingdom to become a wealthy man or woman and also to become famous and powerful in life email us now at donilluminatimember@yahoo.com

9. Christina Beck April 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM #

I just had a parent tell my children how bad she feels for them because we have our children play an instrument (of course they don't want to at times). This article was very encouraging for me! I am printing it out to discuss all of these benefits with our children and maybe I will print a copy for the a fore mentioned parent? Thank you!

10. Marie Watson April 21, 2016 at 3:34 AM #

Michael, thanks for pointing out so many benefits of playing a musical instrument. I appreciate that you mention how it can increase your responsibility. I never thought about how having to take care of an instrument, and create time to practice, could be a good way to teach your kids about time management. My son has been showing some interest in learning the piano, so hopefully we can find him a good teacher. http://europianoschool.com/

11. Hiran Alles April 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM #

I play the keyboards for 20 years and I still play. Do Digital Pianos work or any type of piano? I play the Digital Piano/Keyboards.

12. Mooly Beam April 25, 2016 at 3:29 PM #

Enjoying the piano like Ive never! Possibly this is the best tutorial of all time! I am 46 and have seen a few. It made me a happy slave to my keyboard and sound! :) View this site fb.me/4wVGDvboi

13. Diana Stepanova May 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM #

Being tought to read by granny at the age of 3,5 – 4 I've been worried about my 4,5 years daughter and her disability to read words very much. While playing we could learn just letters. She just guesses the whole words never trying to read them. Once I stumbled the story, very similar to ours. Parents suggested to try the course of reading learning =>> http://childrenlearningreading.man-profit.ru/6/index.html <<=. Their review sounded like a fairy tale, but we decided to try, for that was like the last chance. I felt disappointment for I was not capable to teach my kid how to read.
    And the mirracle occurred! Ann started to read! Now wile we are 5 we can read rather big and serious texts. Sometimes she asks to let her to read bedtime story to her younger brother who is just 6 months old. We hope he will start reading much earlier for the course promisses potential even for kids younger than 2-3 years old.

14. Diana Stepanova May 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM #

15. Diana Stepanova May 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM #

Hello! In fact, my husband and I had a big problem, we could not understand why we have a child begins to speak, even though he was already 2 years. We have tried different methods to our kid said, but nothing worked, until we stumbled upon a wonderful course " http://childrenlearningreading2.man-profit.ru/3/index.html&quot;.
    And you will not believe it, we began to engage in this method, all as described in the know! My husband and I have been shocked by these results, our baby, not only began to speak, but had read in syllables! Thank you very much, who made a similar technique! I recommend, if you have doubts about how soon will begin to read your child!
    Thank you for attention!

16. Emília Spagolla May 10, 2016 at 7:39 PM #

Learning the piano was a life goal for me. I had tried learning at various times of my life but I felt the prices of lessons was too expensive for the progress I was making so I gave up on each occasion. However, about a year ago I came across a program that taught me how to learn piano myself through online lessons which not only was a hell of a lot cheaper but it allowed me to become a very advanced pianist in just a year of following the program. Anyway if you are interested in learning piano I highly recommended you to follow the full lesson guide at
    ➤➤➤ bit.ly/piano-music-lessons – just take some time to watch the video on that website and then go ahead with the full lessons where I can assure you that it will completely transform your piano playing.

Even just a couple weeks of following the lessons I became a very competent piano player. These lessons aren’t just for beginners looking to start out either, they are amazing for all sorts of piano playing levels and apply to every different genre of music (classical, jazz, rock, pop etc).

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Learning an Instrument | Effect of Music On Students - December 8, 2015

[...] of these come from this link, so feel free to browse some more that I didn’t [...]

2. Where Did Piano’s Even Come From? – Learning Music - January 22, 2016

[...] has increased since we’ve learned that learning to play an instrument has been proved to be beneficial to our [...]

3. 18 Benefits of Playing a Musical Instrument | T... - January 27, 2016

[...] Playing a musical instrument has many benefits and can bring joy to you and everyone around you. This article will provide you with 18 benefits of playing a music instrument.  [...]

4. Music in Modern Age – theresashort - February 4, 2016

[...] Also, if you’re interested, you can view a short list of how learning and playing an instrument can benefit our brains by clicking here! [...]

5. Do parents use video games to teach their kids math? « Thomas Zerbarini - April 6, 2016

[...] 18 Benefits of Playing a Musical Instrument [...]

6. Learn at Least One Instrument – ashseagull - May 4, 2016

[...] the effects of playing an instrument and they’ve nearly all been positive. For example, this article by Michael Matthews on the benefits of playing an instrument goes on to give 18 benefits. Yes, [...]

7. Long Form Research Essay | Artists vs The World - May 17, 2016

[...] industry collapsing, because we love creating our own music because it brings great benefits to our mind and health. But let’s be honest, weather you are a musician or not, imagine a world without [...]

8. Music For The World | Artists vs The World - May 24, 2016

[...] listening to, I believe that everyone should play a musical instrument. It will bring them great benefits such as happiness to themselves and around them, reduce stress, increase memory ability and much [...]