This article is an introduction to a series of articles that Director Jim Matthews has recorded on video. Due to increasing popularity of videos in society, we have decided to make many of our articles as videos for ease and availability…
About Jim MatthewsJim Matthews is a veteran band director of 30 years at Jackson Middle School in Titusville, FL. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree from Florida State University. His bands continuously received superior ratings at band festivals. The bands have received the Florida Bandmaster’s Association Five, Ten, Fifteen, Twenty and Twenty-five Year Superior Awards for continuous Superior ratings. He is presently the Brevard County Music Instructional Coach for all secondary band directors. Jim co-founded the FLBandWorkshop for band directors held each summer in Titusville. It is a hands-on, in-depth workshop. For more information see FLBandWorkshop on FaceBook. He is a member of Florida Bandmaster’s Association, Music Educator’s National Conference and Phi Beta Mu – an International Honorary Band Director’s Fraternity. He is also a National Board Certified Teacher in music. For more information, see the About section.
We’ve all heard the saying “practice makes perfect.” In music this is not true at all, and can in fact make you worse. A better saying is “perfect practice makes perfect.” This article will answer the who, why, what,where, when, and how when it comes to practicing music.
Coach John Wooden was one of the most winning and highly respected coaches in all of sport and history. I truly believe that if you live by the principles he asked his players each year to live by, you will be successful in whatever you do.
As we prepare lessons for our students regularly we sometimes question ourselves and ask: “What should I be teaching my students?” “What are other people teaching their kids right now?” “Am I on track with other programs?” It doesn’t matter how long you have been teaching, these questions will arise.
Any parent of a music student wants his/her child to succeed. You may be wondering, is there anything I can do to help my child become a better musician? The answer is YES. In order for your child to…
Like Us on Facebook!
- What Your Kids Need From You February 9, 2010
- You Can’t Make Me Teach Alone! December 27, 2011
- Listen and Obey December 28, 2011
- What Every Band Director Ought to Know About Preparing for Festival October 17, 2012
- If You Don’t Make Lesson Plans Now, You’ll Regret It Later October 29, 2012
- Best Practices of Highly Effective Band Directors April 30, 2017
- Listening Guide for Class Discussions September 6, 2016
- Sound Models August 28, 2016
- Godly Discipline in the Classroom/Home March 25, 2016
- The Ultimate Guide to Champion Teacher Techniques December 12, 2012