Every day, band directors dedicate precious time training their students, trying to prepare them for the biggest performance of the year—band festival. Even if your band sounds great and appears to be ready, there are still quite a few things that every band director should know when preparing for band festival. This article will provide a checklist to help you get organized and keep stress to a minimum on your big day.
About Jim MatthewsJim Matthews is a veteran band director of 30 years at Jackson Middle School in Titusville, FL. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree from Florida State University. His bands continuously received superior ratings at band festivals. The bands have received the Florida Bandmaster’s Association Five, Ten, Fifteen, Twenty and Twenty-five Year Superior Awards for continuous Superior ratings. He is presently the Brevard County Music Instructional Coach for all secondary band directors. Jim co-founded the FLBandWorkshop for band directors held each summer in Titusville. It is a hands-on, in-depth workshop. For more information see FLBandWorkshop on FaceBook. He is a member of Florida Bandmaster’s Association, Music Educator’s National Conference and Phi Beta Mu – an International Honorary Band Director’s Fraternity. He is also a National Board Certified Teacher in music. For more information, see the About section.
There is a saying, “You are where you are today, because of the prayers of yesterday. You will be where you are tomorrow because of what you pray today!” People need you to pray today. Whether they know it or not, they are depending on you. We all need each other…
The Lord said in Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” That is a huge comfort to me as I get ready to go teach everyday! I would not dream of going into today’s classrooms without God going before me and being right there with me. I am going to walk in under His banner, in…
In this video, we’ll be discussing grading and conduct policies. We’re going to help you in developing your grading and conduct policies for your classroom. What is your grading system going…
In this video we’re going to be covering class materials. We’re going to be covering topics that are so important to the actual every day playing-in-classroom work you’ll be doing. This is where the rubber hits the road…
Like Us on Facebook!
- What Your Kids Need From You February 9, 2010
- You Can’t Make Me Teach Alone! December 27, 2011
- Listen and Obey December 28, 2011
- What Every Band Director Ought to Know About Preparing for Festival October 17, 2012
- If You Don’t Make Lesson Plans Now, You’ll Regret It Later October 29, 2012
- Best Practices of Highly Effective Band Directors April 30, 2017
- Listening Guide for Class Discussions September 6, 2016
- Sound Models August 28, 2016
- Godly Discipline in the Classroom/Home March 25, 2016
- The Ultimate Guide to Champion Teacher Techniques December 12, 2012
- When Online Practice Leads Students Astray
- 5 Smart Tips for Successful Teacher Planning
- Avoid Wasting Precious Class Time by Using the “Do Now” Method
- Listening Guide for Class Discussions
- Here’s a Quick Teaching Prayer to Help You Walk in Victory Each Day
- Understanding Any Piece of Music by Ear
- How You Can Help Your Child Practice