Pt. 1 – There are No Easy Ways to Becoming Great As I travel and visit band rooms all over our state, I find certain things to be common with all of the very successful band directors. I have interviewed dozens of them and find that there are no “tricks” to get their students […]
Guided Listening Jim Matthews Students must be taught how to listen to music. If not, then they might simply say “That sounds good.” Or, “I like/don’t like that.” The deeper we want them to understand exactly what to listen to for meaning and understanding, the deeper the questioning must be. It is the same […]
Model Musician Sounds Jim Matthews Who are YOUR models for music? Which performing artists do YOU listen to? Who do you play for your students as a STANDARD – model of excellence? This certainly is NOT a complete list as there are many models which are not listed. This is simply a start. Flute – […]
Discipline based on Proverbs 15 Every class must be taught the guidelines the teacher desires for that particular atmosphere. Each class actually has its own personality. Each class must learn how to function as a family of new members. Not all of them need to get along and be best friends at all times, […]
“Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character.” This saying by author T. Alan Armstrong hits the nail on the head when it comes to the kind of attitude a teacher should strive to attain.Every good teacher’s end goal should always emphasize the success of the student. This article, which contains some of the topics from the book as well as some from my personal experience, will give you many different techniques that will help you teach like a champion.
Like Us on Facebook!
- What Your Kids Need From You February 9, 2010
- You Can’t Make Me Teach Alone! December 27, 2011
- Listen and Obey December 28, 2011
- What Every Band Director Ought to Know About Preparing for Festival October 17, 2012
- If You Don’t Make Lesson Plans Now, You’ll Regret It Later October 29, 2012
- Best Practices of Highly Effective Band Directors April 30, 2017
- Listening Guide for Class Discussions September 6, 2016
- Sound Models August 28, 2016
- Godly Discipline in the Classroom/Home March 25, 2016
- The Ultimate Guide to Champion Teacher Techniques December 12, 2012